Violent and Abusive Patients
The practice will not tolerate violent or abusive behaviour.
We try at all times to deal with patients in a polite and courteous manner. In return we expect that the same is shown to all staff and doctors at the surgery. Whilst we understand that a visit to the doctors can be at times stressful or worrying, we will not tolerate aggression or abuse to either our reception staff or any of the professional staff at the surgery.
Anyone verbally abusing either a member of staff or the public, or using inapporpriate language, will be asked to leave the premises and requested to find another GP.
The practice considers aggressive behaviour to be any personal, abusive or aggressive comments, cursing, swearing, physical contact or aggressive gestures.
Patients will also be removed from the list in the following circumstances:
- Violence and aggression towards staff or members of the public.
- Damage to practice property or equipment.
- Change of residence to outside of the practice area
- Persistent misuse of the system
- Patients who the doctors are unable to manage clinically e.g. breach of contract with doctor regarding use of prescribed medicine, break down in patient communication.
All instances of actual physical abuse of any doctor or member of staff, by a patient or their friends or relatives, will be reported to the police as an assault.